Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Now I Believe

My past reservations about Obama aside, I am very pleased that Barack Obama is our president-elect. I feel like my shroud of skepticism has melted a little bit and in place of it I have hope that things will change. 'I believe, hope, change' - sound familar? Okay Obama, you have my attention. Don't let me down.

I am very curious about the Obama's family choice of red worn in Barack's victory speech. Was it a jab at the conservatives and their red states similar to a victor taking the enemies flag or was it an olive branch? It seems to me if there are 'no red states or blue states, but just the United States of America', then shouldn't his family have worn purple? Maybe I read too much into things, but I didn't like the red. Red is an aggressive color, the color of sports cars, the Republican color. Obama, why red? Don't deny us a blue victory.

Another thing that I find interesting is that if you look at the electoral votes, it appears as if Obama had an overwhelming victory. If you look at the popular vote, however, the victory doesn't seem as large. Almost 49 million people voted for McCain. 49 million people thought McCain would be a better president than Barack Obama. 49 million people want to keep the status quo. That is a huge number of people - 48% of the votes. It appears that we are as divided as ever. It is shocking to me that we live in a country that seems to be so connected to each other electronically, but be so divided politically.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment that the family should have chosen a neutral color.... maybe not PURPLE, but perhaps tan or a soft creme hue. I must add though, that I still think *I* look smashing in RED! Long live red, even though I'm blue at heart.

    ReplyDelete