This year for Halloween, Sarah was Tinkerbell and Sam was Yoda. This was the first year that Sarah understood that our neighbors were all giving away candy and she was very eager to get as much as she could. She came home after Beggar's night and counted and recounted her candy. Who knew candy could be so educational? Sam has no clue what Beggar's night is about but was kind enough to wear his costume for a while.
Des Moines has weird traditions of having Beggar's night the night before Halloween and of requiring the kids to tell a joke in order to get the treat. This made for a long night because how many times does one want to hear the same jokes over and over such as 'Why didn't the skeleton cross the street? Because he had no guts!' And then there are the kids who can't remember their joke and they stare at you with that 'deer in the headlights' look. We usually have over 100 kids stop at our house on Beggar's night. It is a nice night for our neighborhood.
When I put Sarah to bed the night of Beggar's night, she asked me when she could go trick or treating by herself. I wasn't really thinking about it, and I said, 'Oh, maybe when you are 10 or 11.' And she said, 'Ok, when I am 10, I am going by myself when I am 10.' She has a very good memory. Now I wished I had said 18.
I do believe in fairies!
No comments:
Post a Comment